We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Baked Chicken Parmesan! EASY and quick, simply bread the chicken cutlets with Parmesan and crumbs, bake in the oven, and top with a fresh, homemade tomato sauce. Serve with noodles.
Photography Credit:Sally Vargas
Chicken Parmesan has to be one of the easiest and tastiest ways of preparing chicken, don’t you agree? It’s made with chicken cutlets so it cooks up quickly.
This recipe takes only 10 minutes to prep and no more than 30 minutes to cook. Perfect for a midweek family meal!
How to Make Baked Chicken Parmesan
Here’s how you make this easy baked chicken parmesan:
- Start the sauce: First get started on a simple homemade tomato sauce with crushed tomatoes, garlic, basil, and oregano (though you could easily use already prepared sauce).
- Dredge the cutlets: While the sauce is simmering, take boneless chicken cutlets, (breast or thigh meat) dredge them first in a mustardy coating, then in Parmesan tossed breadcrumbs (we like panko),
- Bake: Bake the chicken parmesan in oven!
By the (short) time the chicken is done, the sauce is perfect.
Tips for Baking Chicken Parmesan
- Start with cutlets that are a thin, even thickness, about 1/4 inch thick. You can buy them this way, or cut whole breasts in half horizontally, then pound them thin between 2 pieces of plastic wrap with a mallet or meat hammer.
- Line a baking sheet for easy cleanup, use either parchment paper, foil, or Silpat
- Avoid the mess! Use one hand to dredge the cutlets in the wet mixture and another hand to gently pat the cutlets in the breadcrumbs.
- Use good quality ingredients. There is a noticeable quality difference when it comes to canned tomatoes. Use a high quality brand (San Marzano or Muir Glen). Make sure the extra virgin olive oil you are using is fresh, not rancid (if it smells like crayons it’s rancid).
What to serve with Chicken Parmesan
We like to have our baked chicken parm with buttered noodles. Garlic bread would be an excellent option as well. For a green, a light mixed lettuce salad and/or some steamed broccoli or green beans.
Baked Chicken Parmesan Recipe
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, finely chopped (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes (we use Muir-Glen)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil (or 1 Tbsp of chopped fresh basil)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano (or 1 teaspoon of chopped fresh oregano)
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast cutlets (or skinless boneless chicken breasts or thighs that have been pounded to a 1/4-inch thickness)
- 1 cup of breadcrumbs (panko or homemade)
- 1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 Make the sauce: Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan on medium high heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Stir in the crushed tomatoes, basil, oregano, sugar, a pinch of salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer.
Continue to simmer until sauce thickens a bit and flavors meld, about 10-12 minutes. Taste sauce, adjust seasoning if necessary, cover and keep warm.
2 Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with foil, parchment, or Silpat. While the sauce is simmering, prepare the chicken in the next steps.
3 Make the coating: In a large bowl whisk together the mustard, vinegar, salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.
Add the chicken cutlets to the mixture and coat well on both sides.
4 Dredge the chicken: In another bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs, grated Parmesan, and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper. Mix well and stir in the melted butter. Transfer to a shallow plate.
Dredge the chicken pieces in the breadcrumb mixture, gently pressing the breadcrumbs into the chicken cutlets. Place dredged chicken on the lined baking sheet.
5 Bake: Bake at 450°F on the center rack of the oven until cooked and golden brown, about 15 minutes.
6 Serve: Serve with a side of rice, noodles or pasta. Ladle sauce with the chicken.
Hello! All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. Thank you!